Mercedes Benz Amazing New Driving Technologies to Make Driving Safer
June 01, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Mercedes-Benz has been making slow but sure steps towards automated driving. They keep developing more and more technologically advanced vehicles with higher levels of automation.
The latest model, the Mercedes S-Class, has the highest level of automation among all the models available to date. The 2018 Mercedes S-Class, which is set to be released in late 2017, will be even more advanced than the other models. It features many amazing new features that are all aimed at improving the driving experience and road safety. The vehicle will be able to support its driver in numerous unthinkable ways, and this shows that complete automation could be on the horizon.
Amazing New Features
The 2018 Mercedes S-Class has an excellent sensor system that comprises of an enhanced camera and radar systems which serve to support the driver better by detecting dangers on the road and alerting the driver or taking the appropriate actions. Thanks to the system, the vehicle is able to get information such as distance from vehicles and other traffic on the road. The sensor system features both short-range and long-range radar sensors. These features have taken Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Driving to a whole new level. Below are some of the new features:
- Cross-Traffic Assist and BAS PLUS: Cross-Traffic Assist enables the vehicle to detect crossing pedestrians and traffic, and if the driver brakes suddenly, the brake assist system, known as BAS PLUS, boosts the driver’s braking force.
- Night View Assist Plus: This system uses a thermal imaging camera to detect animal or pedestrians in areas that are nearby but not in the driver’s view and then alert the driver to prevent him/her from running a person or animal over.
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus: This enables the vehicle to always have the headlamps on but at a level of brightness that does not bother other road users depending on the time of the day.
- Attention Assist: This system can detect drowsiness or inattentiveness of the driver and alert him/her of this.
- Steering Assist, Stop & Go Pilot and DISTRONIC PLUS: These features enable the vehicle to stay in the right lane, especially in traffic when the driver might be distracted by his/her phone or something else.
- Active Lane Keeping Assist: In places where lanes are marked by broken lines, the Active Lane Keeping Assist enables the vehicle to detect either oncoming or ongoing traffic on the next lane and keep the vehicle in its lane by brake application on the side with traffic.
The above are just some of the amazing new features of the Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Driving. It is clear that the developers of the Mercedes Benz are concerned about the safety of the driver and other road users. These and other great features are bound to greatly reduce road carnage, and this is good news as everyone is affected in one way or the other. These new developments also give drivers greater peace of mind since they know their vehicles are intelligent partners that have them covered in some situations that may be beyond their control.